Who doesn’t love Mexican food? Especially easy, tasty, low-calorie Mexican food. My mom’s been making this dish for quite sometime and it’s a favorite comfort food of mine. However I’ve taken her recipe and found a few tricks to make it even more low-cal, protein packed and full of flavor.
Here’s what you will need to get started.
- 9×13 baking dish
- 2 large Chicken Breasts
- 10 oz Frozen Chopped Spinach (thaw, drain all water) + a couple handfuls of raw spinach
- 4 Scallions, diced. (save some for the top of the dish)
- 4 tbsp Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 can black beans, drained (optional)
- ½ cup Plain Fat Free Yogurt
- 8 oz low-fat Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- ½ Tbs Salt
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 cup of onion, sauteed(do not heavily brown, this will change the white sauce color)
- 1 Garlic clove, minced and added to onion saute
- 1 can of Green Chiles, drained (you pick your heat!)
- 1.5 cup of Colby Jack Cheese or Queso Fresco (again, your choice)
- 2 pkg flour tortillas (6-8 count each)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350*F
2. Season the chicken with S&P. Sauté, let rest and cool, then pull apart (shred).
3. Combine all sauce ingredients in a large bowl. Taste to season (might need more salt or cumin depending…)
4. In your 9 x 13 dish add a thin layer of sauce to the bottom. Filling one tortilla at a time, gently add a dollop of sauce, chicken and a few pinches of cheese, roll then layer side by side in the pan. repeat, repeat, repeat. Disperse the remainder of the sauce on top of the enchiladas cover every inch*. Sprinkle with scallions and add cheese.
Note*covering the entire dish will prevent burning, drying or, or unpleasant, rock hard, tortilla sections.
Bake at 350*F for 30 minutes
Easy, peasy! Serve with Mexican rice and margaritas for best results.